- Manassas Jack ( Manassas Jack is s BP Shooter from the Houston, Texas area) Here are his tips – Read and learn the rules. You can use them to reduce your stage times and avoid the dreaded “P”
- Two Sons (Who is TWO SONS???? – a multi National and World Champion SASS Shooter) Listen up ….She has these shooter tips –
1. I dry fire and warm up with all the guns. Get the arms warmed up and then work up to a smooth movement with that front sight. (work out the shakes) start slow and then work up your speed.2. Always use the front sight even when dry firing. If your going for speed and not practicing with the front sight, that’s how you will shoot. You are feeding the brain when you practice so feed it the way you want to shoot. Clean and with the speed you want to go. Front sight! Front sight! Front sight!3. Dry fire is everything. You will learn a lot about your guns and how you want to handle them. Work off an ironing board, this will make you place your guns firm and not throw them down.4. I am a Certified Shot gun and Hand gun instructor. When working with a person only use a positive attitude. If my student does something wrong I just show them how to continue without using the negative, “no that’s not right” words. Praise them for the little things that they do and let them go home with a good satisfied feeling.
- Ole Short Tom – (Who is Ole Short Tom??? – he is a multi National and World Champion SASS Shooter – take heed! He has these shooter tips – I feel that a video camera is very important in your practice sessions as this will tell you the whole story on what you are doing not what you think you are doing. Proper fitting gun leather is very important. It must be designed to fit your body and holsters should be placed according to the way you want to pull your guns. Everyone has to be able to evaluate their own self on this as gun handling is the key to smooth fast transitions.
- Creek County Kid – (Who is Creek County Kid you ask? – a remarkable young man that has developed his game to an extremely high level of SASS shooting. He is the current reigning SouthWest Regional OVERALL Champion – Listen to what he does and he has this shooter tip – Well one thing I do for practice is I set up a drill where I put my timer on delay , take your hands off the timer then press the button and when the timer goes off you hit the timer and the whole goal is to decrease your reaction time to the sound of the beep it makes you react to the beep instead of waiting for the beep.
- Oklahoma Dee has this shooter tip – to Check your screws in all guns at the loading table on first stage of the day.
- Oklahoma Dee also says to Drink water before and during each stage.
- Kansas City Sneed – has this shooter tip for women- Do not borrow a man’s holster rig, get one made for you.
- From Patrick McNamara’s Book T.A.P.S. – Modified by OkDee – Absolutely and positively understand each and every firearm of yours, at all times.
Send me your shooter tips and I will post them here. Thank you.